Monday, August 11, 2008

PART 2: Ignorance Is Bliss...

Ok, this is kind of a two-part blog rambling on from my last post but going in a slightly different direction. I had too much to say about this topic and evidently not enough juice left in me to go on the other night. It's been quite a long day as I worked both of my jobs and I've gotta get up pretty early tomorrow so I'll keep this one short and just hope that it's coherent enough to follow.

American's are always being viewed by the rest of the world as stupid or more accurately, ignorant; specifically about world issues. Not to use my nationality as an excuse but I'll admit it, I am fairly ignorant about the history and politics of other countries too. To be honest, I'm not that educated on history and politics of MY OWN country either. Now that I am doing more and more research about things, it's becoming a little overwhelming. There are so many things I feel need to be changed in the way we live our daily lives that it's often hard to know where to begin. I've never really considered myself a radical or extremest person so it's hard for me to imagine relinquishing mainstream American culture altogether.
So, how do we make informed decisions without getting overwhelmed and taking the EXTREME approach? I need baby steps here people.

I guess my basic question is, if "Knowledge is Power" but "Ignorance is Bliss", can we be INFORMED and not DEPRESSED?

No comments: