Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Lista Mania

Every so often (okay, quite frequently actually) I get a random idea in my head on how to make a raw variation of some type of SAD food. Then I start doing research and experimenting with different recipes. I call these my "projects". Here's what's in the works:

- The Hummus Project -

This one isn't really my own invention, I use the "Real Hummus" recipe from goneraw.com (the link is posted in one of my blog entries) and just do my own variations like add tomato & cayenne or Italian spices (You can see pictures of this further down in my blog). The main breakthrough with this recipe was adding a little bit less olive oil (1/2 - 3/4 cup instead of a whole cup) for the purpose of cutting down a little bit of the fat and thus being able to eat more of this amazing recipe and adding CUMIN!!! It makes such a difference. I'm guessing the author of the recipe omited herbs and spices becuase they might not be raw but the way I see it, they aren't hurting anything. They are low in calories and therefore, if you season your food with herbs and spices, the percentage of your daily calories coming from cooked foods is still pretty insignifigant. They add so much flavor and by using organic you're not consuming pesticides or anything so I say, why not. Okay, that was kind of a tangent...anyways, I'm going to keep slightly tweaking this recipe until I find it to be perfect. :-)

- The Pasta Project -

I've used a bunch of different sauces for my summer squash noodles but haven't found the PERFECT combination quite yet. I like there to be something crunchy in there to add a little texture along with some big juicy chunks to make the dish more interesting. The hemp pesto with tomatoes was pretty good but needed that crunch, I think I'll add a few TBSP of pine nuts next time around.

- The Taco Project -

This is the newest project of them all. I've only semi-attempted them once but I'm ready for a second try. The basic concept goes as follows:
Soaked sunflower nutmeats dried out and seasoned with taco seasonsings (found this recipe on a mex-recipes.com), salsa cruda, romaine lettuce and avocado inside a bell pepper taco shell. I know that green bell peppers are unripe but I wonder if they're bad for you... It just seems like the taco shell would be better if it wasn't sweet.

- The Stir Fry Project -

The idea for this one comes from marinating veggies in nama shoyu and sesame seed oil. I've never been a BIG fan of soy sauce so I think I need to find a way to incorporate more raw veggies and then mix in the marinated ones along with maybe some raw cashews.

- The Pie Project -

I'm working on developing the perfect crust. Bellow is a picture of one that I've tried. I make them in mini form since it's still very experimental (and I don't want to eat an entire pie by myself). I like how the coconut oil holds the crust together once refrigerated but I also feel like it might taste a little too waxy.



Strawberry Short Pie

Sliced strawberries mixed with Happy Day Raw Vegan Vanilla Mousse in a
wheat germ, shredded coconut, coconut oil and ground flax seed pie crust


In Other Lists...

Here's an update from my beauty blog. Turns out I might not be quite ready to abandon my beauty products after all....


FACE:

-Honey- 30 minute facial mask
I actually use to do this all of the time anyways but now I only do it about once a week. It makes my skin super smooth though. I'll definitely continue to do it more and more regularly when school starts and I start to get into a routine of some kind. I also sometimes put a dot of honey over a blemish before I go to bed with a band-aid over it and in the morning, wah-lah, it's vanished (or at least a lot better).

- Poppy Seeds- for exfoliating
Hm...I'm actually still doing this but I'm not sure how well it's working to be honest. I'll tell you what though, there's nothing like finding a poppy seed stuck to your neck later on during the day...

-Avocado slices- 30 minute under-eye treatment
This is another one where I can't really tell if it made a difference or not. I've only tried it once though. Too be honest, I'd rather eat an avocado than put it on my face. I don't really have dark circles anymore anyways...thank you sleeep!
-Shea Butter- moisturizer
I don't use moisturizer very often simply because my skin is pretty self-sufficient so to speak. I don't have to use much to keep it clean so it doesn't get dried out very often. I do keep this on hand and use it when my face needs an extra little bit of help.
-Aloe- After-sun treatment
I don't really put anything on my face after sun since my make-up has SPF in it and I put that on before I go out and there's no need to mess it all up.
-Coconut Oil- eye make-up remover
If I remove my make-up at all I use this...
-Baking Soda- toothpaste
mmm...I tried this for a few weeks but then I just couldn't hack it. I need to find a healthier alternative that more resembles what I'm use to sadly. After this tube of (probably toxic) toothpaste is done I'll definitely be trying something more natural.

BODY:

-Coconut Oil- as shaving cream, soap & moisturizer
Always!
- Aloe- after sun
I will still continue to do this. I try to every time I lay out but sometimes forget.
-Shea Butter- moisturizer for dryer skin (elbows & bottoms of feet)
Neither of those places seem to be super dry since I just slather myself with coconut oil in the bathtub while I'm greasing up my legs for shaving. It works very nicely an doesn't leave you with that oily feeling that it would if you were to use it as a lotion after showing.
-Lemon Juice- deodorant
I never actually went through with this. I was using coconut oil for a while but it felt weird so I changed to an all natural deodorant which I'm beginning to have my doubts about... the search continues.


HAIR:

-Apple Cider Vinegar- cleansing wash
- Apple Sauce- conditioner
I'll just lump these two into one and say that I tried the "no-poo" method for 3 weeks and my hair was SOOOOO oily and disgusting that I reverted back to my old ways. Again, I'm ready for an all-natural alternative that looks and feels like shampoo and doesn't make my hair transform into a greasy, knotted mess. I'll be refering to Kristin's blog when my old bottles are done and I'm ready for a healthy upgrade.

-Lemon Juice- to lighten it.
The jury's still out on this one. I've been using it but can't tell if my hair is getting any lighter. I'm giving it 20 days until school starts then I'm going back to highlights...
-Mashed Avocado and Honey- deep conditioner
I'll get back to you on this one as I haven't actually tried it yet...I plan too though. Like I said, it's just so hard not to EAT the avos, hee hee.


Twisted Monkey Smoothie
2 cups pineapple green tea - 2 cups banana slices - 2 cups spinach
& a twist of lemon
So simple a monkey could do it.


More Strawberries...
This one is just simple layers of sliced strawberries, wheat germ and Happy Day Raw Vegan Vanilla Mouse.

Salsa Mountain
I was randomly inspired to chop up a bunch of salsa at about 2 am this morning which I then ate today...
No, I'm not weird, not at all.


Sunny-side Gazpacho
OK, I'll admit, I had never actually eaten gazpcho or looked at a recipe, only seen the stuff. So this is my interpretation. It's actually more like a soupy salsa which I then added sunflower seeds and cayene pepper too...still, it was amazing.

Sprouted Tabouleh
I took the recipe from George Mateljan's book and replaced the bulgar with sprouted quinoa.
Next time I'm adding garbanzo beans.



Okay, now just ONE more list, I promise....
.: RAW Blogs I'm currently reading

1. RawFaith

2. Go Green Go : April's Uncooked

3. Kristen's Raw


All 3 are amazzzing and I'm always looking for more so if you know of something I don't, please clue me in. That's all for now.



NnnnIIIIiiiiGGGGGgggHHHHHhhhhTTTtttT!!!!

No comments: