Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Gimme Greens!



I read Victoria Boutenko's book Green For Life a while ago but like many lessons in life, it took some time for me to REALLY learn the importance of eating a diet that's rich in dark leafy greens. Boutenko points out that chimpanzees (our closest cousin in the animal kingdom) eat about 40% greens! Well, maybe I'm going bananas but I'm aiming to do the same. I'm doing a go green experiment in which I will eat 2 meals a day that are 50% greens and 1 meal that's at least 25% greens. Here's how day one went down ....

Breakfast & Lunch were each a quart of green smoothie made up of

1 banana
1 apple
1/2 a cup of mango
2 cups of green tea

2 1/2 cups of spinach

about a tsp of MSM

Dinner was a huuugggee taco salad which included

1/4 cup sunflower seed "taco meat" with taco seasonings (cumin, paprika, chili powder, onion powder & fresh pressed garlic) and 2 TBSP EVOO, 1 TBSP of flax seeds, tomatoes*, peppers*, cilantro, sprinkle of Lemon Juice & Celtic Salt.

* from my GRUB box

Had I had it them on hand I would have added: avocado, romaine lettuce and bell peppers to use as taco shells instead of eating it out of a bowl but it was seriously still so good! The seasonings were perfect (see list mania blog for a link to the Mexican food site where I got the recipe. Note: I used one clove of fresh garlic instead of powder).

No comments: