Sunday, September 21, 2008

Beans, beans the poisonous fruit.

As I'm sure I've mentioned, I've been about 90% raw for the past 3 months since my last cleanse. The number of cooked things I've eaten has obviously been pretty minimal, some whole grain sprouted cereal here, lentil soup here etc etc. So last night, after my big salad, I decided to have a TIIINNNNY little bowl of boiled organic pinto beans that my roommate made with some of her delicious (raw) guacamole. Like I said in my blog last night, I had a bit of a tummy ache after eating them and finally went to sleep around 3 am feeling just slightly ill. I woke up around 7:30 this morning feeling a lot more than slightly ill. I was burping up that terrible acidy taste and when I went to the bathroom I got horrible chills and started vomiting all over the floor...mmm, cute. "Is my body becoming hyper sensitive to cooked foods?", I wondered. "Was it the acid that made me so sick?". Then I found this online:

Beans (legumes) cause gas because they contain a sugar, oligosaccharide, that the human body can not break down. Oligosaccharides are large molecules and are not broken down and absorbed by the lining of the small intestine as other sugars are. This is because the human body does not produce the enzyme that breaks down oligosaccharides.






Very interesting....hmmmm, no more beans for me. I guess when I was on the SAD, my body just wasn't as sensitive to these things because it was numbed with all the other processed junk? I also think I'm getting better at listening to my body and it's needs. I still have a long way to go though. As far as other cooked foods go, we'll see. I really want to start reading 80/10/10 while I'm cleansing and see if I can hop on that after the cleanse is over. The book is like 30 bucks though which I'm sure it's completely worth but at the moment I'm completely broke and living off credit cards and a loan from my roommate until my student loans are disbursed in mid October. I might just have to bite the bullet and get it now though. As for M. Cleanse day one...I've actually only had one glass of lemonade and didn't even start off the day with the lax tea today because of the abrupt way in which my day started plus some lovely other circumstances (our upstairs tub leaking through the roof in our garage). My roommate and I handled that and then I took a nice nap on our living room floor to compensate for the lack of sleep I got last night and on Friday. Tonight I'll definitely be taking the tea though and hopefully I'll feel better in the morning. My stomach is still a little queasy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had half a cup of my friend's lentil soup about a month ago at her family's bbq and got SO SICK afterwards that I was rolling around on the flooring like a dog with worms.
it was terrible. haha